A bittersweet moment

This summer, I was offered something that I had been hoping would happen for a while. One of the preschool teachers at my school was retiring, and there would be an open position start September. At the time, I was working in the toddler classroom, which I loved, but was looking to advance my teaching. After a few weeks of discussing all of their options, my bosses decided that I was the teacher that they would like to enter that role. I was immediately filled with feelings of shock, joy, and excitement, but also sadness. While I was honored to receive this position, I realized that it would mean leaving my co-teacher and children in the toddler classroom. The next few weeks were bittersweet as I prepared to say goodbye to them. At the beginning of the school year, I started my new teaching position and it has been amazing! I miss my toddlers, but I will see them all again in my classroom someday. ♡

Vocabulary:

1. retire: to leave a job; usually at an older age
2. position: a spot where someone or something is located
3. toddler: children from the age of 12-36 months (1-3 years old)
4. advance: move forward in a purposeful way; make progress
5. honored: great respect
6. bittersweet: being both happy and sad about a situation

Vocabulary Exercises: Complete the fill in the blank sentences with the word that fits best

1. She was ____________ to receive the crown at the Homecoming dance.
2. My grandmother was ready to __________ when she turned 65 years old.
3. It was a __________ occasion when she left home to travel Europe for 1 year.
4. There was an open ____________ at the law firm she has wanted to work at since she was in college.
5. My ____________ runs around the house all day!
6. He wanted to ___________ his career, so he applied for a higher ranking position.

Grammar Point: Prepositional Phrases 

Prepositional Phrase: a modifying phrase consisting of a preposition and its object.
             Example: One of the preschool teachers was retiring. 
                             preposition: of 
                             object: preschool teacher
Underline the prepositional phrases in each sentence.
Image result for prepositions1. My dad drives me to school every morning.

2. I found $5.00 under the couch cushion yesterday!

3. I know all of the songs by heart.

4. Are you on board for an adventure of a lifetime? 

5. There are many people sitting by the sea. 

Comments

Popular Posts