Getting into the Holiday Spirit!


Image result for turkeyAs we approach the holiday season, I cannot wait to celebrate two of my favorite holidays: Thanksgiving and Christmas. On Thanksgiving, I wake up in the morning to the smell of pancakes being cooked by my mom. My mom, sister, and I sit down for a family breakfast and turn on the television to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I love seeing all of the returning floats, as well as the new floats, and the performances during the entire parade. My favorite part of the parade is the end when the Santa Claus float comes out, officially kicking off the Christmas season. In the afternoon, we go to my aunt & uncle's house, which happens to be across the street from my house. We enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, including turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, and cranberry sauce. My cousin's, Marina, birthday is on November 23rd, so every Thanksgiving we have a birthday cake at dessert to celebrate. I am so excited for all of the holiday fun to come in the next month!

Vocabulary:

1. approach: come near to someone or something
2. Thanksgiving: an American holiday in which people give thanks and gratitude to one another
3. Macy's: a very popular department store with thousands of locations
4. returning: come or go back to a place or person
5. performance: a form of entertainment; play or concert
6. traditional: something that has been happening for a while

Vocabulary Exercise:
Grammar Point: Proper Nouns

The passage above uses a few proper nouns. A proper noun is a specific name of a particular person, place, or organization. Proper nouns are always spelled with the first letter capitalized. 

For example: On Thanksgiving, I wake up in the morning to the smell of pancakes being cooked by my mom.
(Thanksgiving is capitalized because it is a holiday, which can be under the category of organizations.)
Grammar Point:Write a one paragraph journal entry on your favorite holiday, including at least four proper nouns. Remember to use specific details. Do not forget to capitalize the proper nouns. 

Comments

  1. Hi! I like your writing assignments. Students will enjoy expressing themselves with this assignment. You could even have students make a holiday card so they can practice using proper nouns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great post! I agree with Elena that the writing assignment is a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts